Thursday, June 14, 2007

Am I a Pompous Ass?

Earlier in the week, I was trying to figure out what I wanted for father's day, since it's my first. Anyway, I was trying to find something in the $40 range, that way I'm not shortchanging myself, but I'm not spending an arm and a leg either. I talked myself into a bluetooth headset for my cell phone, only to see an article in the KC Star the very next day basically labeling anyone with the audacity to wear one of those things in public as a pompous ass.

So I started to have second thoughts. Did I really want to turn into "that guy"? Honestly, my intentions are good. My new phone is almost impossible to hold when it's charging, which is a real pain because 99% of the time, I charge it in the car. Having a hands-free headset eliminates this hassle. Also, not having to hold my phone frees me up to do other dangerous things in my car, like dig through my glove compartment for missing CD's, adjust my mirrors and yell at the hippies at 63rd and Ward Parkway every Tuesday evening.

Besides, these things are cutting edge, right? Everybody used to hate computers, and now the only people I know who function without them are my grandparents. Maybe bluetooth headsets are the wave of the future.

Anyway, tonight I finally gave in and purchased one. You can see it here: http://http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-510-Bluetooth-Multipoint-Technology/dp/B0009B0IX4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0404031-4866436?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1181873063&sr=8-1

What do you guys think? Am I just wasting my time with this? I don't think this will generate as much discussion as Josh's Tim Duncan diatribe.

5 comments:

Big Shaky said...

My comment to you is....To each his own. If you use this stricly in the car, I don't see any problems with it. I will be honest with you though (uh-oh), the people that walk around with them in all the time annoy me to no end.
It's not convenient enough to have a phone in your pocket now-a-days, but now we need to keep it in our pockets while we talk and basically have a phone in our ear.
Is anyone REALLY that busy, or have THAT many phone calls? Is it THAT big of a hastle to actually pick that phone up and place it against our ears now? I say neigh!
So to answer your question, I don't have a problem with them in vehicles. Even though I won't own one, I commend people for being safety conscious. But if I hear it is a permanent fixture on your being, I will continually mock you until this absurd behavior discontinues.

Big Shaky said...

By the way.....you have to buy yourself a father's day gift??

Josh said...

I agree. Use of the bluetooth at home or in the car can be a really cool thing. But people walking through the grocery store or down the sidewalk with those things in their ears are just plain lazy. The only way any hands-free device is o.k. in public is if you're taking my order for a large #3 and a coke.

Shaky does have a good point: why did you buy your own father's day gift? Seems a little suspect, especially because it's your first. But I guess if you got what you wanted, then so be it.

Brent said...

Why wouldn't I buy my own father's day gift? You might as well get something you want, rather that depend on someone else to get it for you. This way, I get exactly the bluetooth headset that I wanted. It has over 1,000 reviews on Amazon and is one of the best ones out there for the price. There are a lot of crappy models out there. Rather than say "I want a bluetooth headset" and hope I get a good brand/model, this way I know I'm getting a good piece of equipment.

Big Shaky said...

OK, yes you are a pompous ass