Thursday, June 07, 2007

We're Back Baby!!!

After a far-too-long hiatus, I have decided to restart the GRS blog (please, hold your applause until the end of the post). With new babies, a new city and many other lame excuses, I, and my cohorts, allowed the blog to fall into obscurity. But now, it is revived and, once again, a living breathing spectacle of knowledge and wit. With that being said, I have a few items to touch on to get the ball rolling again.

Moving back to KC: I'm coming back to the land of empty arenas and sub-standard professional sports! I'm pretty excited about being back up there, but Texas was a pretty cool place to be for a while. The people down here are pretty cool, but the overuse of the word "y'all" has become nauseating. When it is used multiple times in emails, it's just too much.

Sheff's racism rant: This is what really made me want to blog again. Gary Sheffield has about as much right to talk about racism as Oprah. He says that black player numbers are diminishing because latin players are more controllable. What a load of crap! Numbers are diminishing because black kids don't play baseball, period. I wonder when Freddy Adu is going to pipe up about the lack of blacks in soccer. When will Steve Nash complain about the white minority in basketball? Ridiculous.

Also, I hate to break this to Sheff, but ALL professional athletes are controllable. Owners have them under contract and are able to cut them or trade them on a whim. In return, they pay them (yes, you too Sheff) ungodly amounts of money to play a game. I'll make that trade any day.

NBA Finals: Brent and I agree that it was a good thing when Cleveland beat Detroit. Another Pistons - Spurs series would have been utterly unwatchable. It's hard enough to watch Bowens' groin shots and Ginobili's flops, but throw in Rasheed Wallace - train wreck. I have a really hard time watching the Spurs anymore because of the constant bitching and flopping. As Bill Simmons said, it's starting to look like a European soccer match. I think Stern is going to talk to the refs and tell them to crack down on the acting so Bowen will foul out and Ginobili will get technicals just for acting like a 3-year-old girl (yeah I know, fat chance). But, since I'm living in that dream world now, I'm calling the Cavs in 6. Bron Bron will take control and have a Jordan-esque series. Shock the world, baby!!!!!!

The Chiefs off-season: I am really disappointed with what they did in the draft. Getting 2 D-tackles back-to-back when they need offensive linemen is inexcusable. They did finally deal Green and got something for him (5th rounder), which I think is a good thing. He's a fragile head-case that will be a liability. Now, watch him throw for 4,000 yards and start in the pro bowl. Whatever.

Well, that's all I have for now. I'm giddy about getting the blog started again. Our style is impetuous, our defense is impregnable, and, just like King James, we're going for "global icon" status.

6 comments:

Brent said...

Global Icon status! I like that!

You're right, this blog has been an afterthought for all too long. Now that our kids are sleeping through the night (or at least sleeping in more than 2 hour increments), it's definitely time to resurrect this thing.

Big Shaky said...

I don't want to hear anymore complaints about kids, and not sleeping, and all that stuff. You guys are still rookies in that catagory. Live with 5 women and have only one bathroom, THEN talk to me about it!

Josh said...

Brent - what are you going to write about now since Jack Bauer saved the day and summertime TV sucks. If you do SuperNanny recaps, you're kicked off the blog.

Big Shaky said...

The only show worth a crap right now is the ultimate fighter on spike. It's the greatest show ever invented. I'm hooked. Of course I haven't missed a UFC pay-per-view in almost 3 years too! Tell me you guys have been watching that.

Josh said...

I agree. Ultimate Fighter is the bomb. I just think they draw it out a little too much. They need to have more fights.

Brent said...

I've never watched Ultimate Fighter, but I am in desperate need on something to watch this summer, so maybe I'll check it out. I'd like to give Spike TV a big "Eff You" for yanking The Shield reruns off their weekly schedule. That show kicks ass.

I tried watching MI5 on the BBC, but I can't handle the fact that I'm actually watching the BBC.