Saturday, June 09, 2007

I'm Sick and Tired

Normally I rant about TV, but I'm going to touch on two particularly annoying sports subjects that I am repeatedly subjected to, but have never cared about.

I am a religious watcher of Pardon The Interruption, with Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon. I know, I know, Kornheiser isn't very good on Monday Night Football, and he's basically a blowhard, but bear with me. He's actually pretty decent on PTI. Anyway, there are two subjects that come up on this show all the time, and on SportsCenter. Here they are.

Michelle Wie - If you're not familiar with her, she's some women's golf phenom, who has actually received a couple of sponsor exemptions to play in a couple of PGA events in addition to the LPGA tour. To make a long story short, Michelle has never won anything, and she's a women's golfer, so why are we constantly hearing about her? Who cares about women's golf anyway? It's not a sexist thing to say. Ask a guy if they watch women's golf. Ask a woman if they watch women's golf. Nobody watches it, nobody cares. Wie can't even win an event on the woman's tour, so why is she even bothering with lingering in some of the men's events? I can't figure it out either. It's almost like the female equivalent of Tiger Woods, only if Tiger Woods would have flamed out immediately.

Danica Patrick - Danica is in pretty much the same boat as Wie. She's famous for being a woman in a man's sport. And before we get too in-depth with this, let's not forget that IRL is like the 4th most popular form of racing in America, behind NASCAR, roller derby, and lawn mowers. Nobody cares about the IRL. But at least they have one big event, the Indy 500. All we hear about heading into the Indy 500 is Danica Patrick related. Never mind the fact that she's never won a single race. Then she shoves some guy after the race was over last week, and now they're making it into some kind of feud. Sportscenter actually showed a comparison of the two racers (this guy's name escapes me at the moment, and I don't care enough about this subject to actually look it up), and this guy led more laps of the Indy 500 this year than Danica has ever led in her life.

What I'm trying to get at here is that we see an awful lot of women's coverage, when the majority of the people watching this programming (men) don't care, so why do you bother shoving this down our throats? Can't we just forget about Danica Patrick and Michelle Wie? I'd rather have an extra 15 minutes of NBA finals or MLB coverage.

I can't take it anymore!

In Bauer We Trust

PS: This season of 24 sucked, with the exception of a few episodes. You guys HAVE to go out and buy Season 1 at Target. It's less than $20, and there's nothing on TV during the summer anyway (well, until Big Brother starts).

5 comments:

Josh said...

I agree. And to add to the problem, the WNBA season has started. Great. I would rather watch 8th grade boys play soccer than watch WNBA.

Brent said...

Bill Simmons has brought up a fantastic idea for women's sports. Display their scores in pink on all score tickers, that way nobody confuses them with men's sports. I don't know how many times I've looked at the score ticker during college basketball season, thought that there was a major upset, only to see it was a women's game.

Brent said...

I forgot to mention in my original post...women hate to watch men's golf, so why is women's golf even a sport? Name one woman you know who plays golf.

Big Shaky said...

We can blame Title 9 for all this women's sports crap. I have all girls and want them to have the opportunity to play stuff, but I don't want this crap shoved down my throat on ESPN because they don't want to get sued due to lack of equality on their channel. It sucks.

Josh said...

Title 9 is a joke. Universities know where their bread is buttered, so I don't know why there has to be equility. Whenever women's field hockey starts bringing in revenue and TV contracts, then we'll talk.