Tuesday, February 20, 2007

American Idol - Round of 24 - The Guys

You know, when they get further into the competition they start having theme nights. Apparently tonight was elevator music night, although they never mentioned it on any of the commercials. Here are my thoughts on each of the guys who performed tonight (listed in order of appearance as far as I can remember):

1. Rudy Cardenas - I don't remember seeing this guy prior to tonight, and it was pretty forgettable again. I think he's probably in danger of going home. He really wasn't the worst of the evening, but he didn't do anything to stand out from the rest of the bunch, and he went first, and any late arrivals to the show probably missed him.

2. Brandon Rogers - This guy got a lot of pub during the audition rounds, and he has some credibility, having sang backup for Christina Aguilera and Usher. That's actually pretty impressive. I thought his song was rather boring, but he'll sail through to the next round. He's pretty much a shoe in for the round of 12, I just wish he would do something a little more exciting next time. A lot of these guys were just dreary tonight.

3. Sundance Head - Oh boy. The only positive thing I can say about this guy is that his chest hair was covered. Other than that, he was basically a disaster. He got a lot of attention during the auditions, but he's been pretty awful except for the very first time that we saw him. I don't think he has a prayer of making it out of the prelims. In fact, he'll probably be one of my picks to get the boot this week. He just doesn't have what it takes to be a star. He seemingly has a good voice, but he doesn't know how to use it.

4. Paul Kim - This guy is a giant douche. He's ugly, boring, and his "gimmick" is that he performs barefoot on stage, because it makes him feel free or something. Whatever. He's a hippie. Plain and simple. And he's not a good singer either. But I think he's done enough for people to remember him, and probably vote for him too. Unfortunately, he'll be back for another week or two. I would be EXTREMELY happy to see him go tonight, but I'm not going to count on it.

5. Nicholas Pedro - This is the guy who quit in the middle of the Hollywood round last year. He has an ok voice, but he's dead up on stage. He would sound ok on a CD maybe (I stress the maybe), but he can't work it up there. Some of the other guys really put him to shame. Probably another candidate to get the boot.

6. Chris Richardson - I really liked the choice of an upbeat song. But he was absolutely hideous all the way around. His vocals were way off as far as I concerned, and his dancing was laughable for the most part. Judging from the wife's input, he'll make it far in this because he looks somewhat like Justin Timberlake, and the girls will probably vote for him. I think she's probably right. He'll be safe, but he is not very good.

7. Blake Lewis - This is the beatbox kid. I was glad to finally hear him sing for a change. I thought he was really good, and he probably has enough of a following to sail through to the final 12. I think he kind of resembles Wes from the Real World...kind of like his skinnier cousin or something. Am I crazy here? But yeah, Blake makes it through for sure.

8. Sanjaya Malakar - His performance was easily the worst of the evening. Any kind of cuteness factor he has is mitigated by the fact that he sounds like a chick and he sang one of the most boring songs I've ever heard on this show. Seriously, what are some of these guys singing? It should be pretty easy to figure out at this point, since this is the 6th season of American Idol. For the first week or two, you better either be really good, or sing something upbeat to get the crowd into it. Don't go up there and put the audience into a coma for 1 min 30 sec. Ugh. He doesn't have a chance on this show. Any votes he gets are for pity only.

9. Chris Sligh -The show finally started when he began singing. He was clearly in a different league than every guy who went before him. He has pretty much everything going for him. Good pipes, funny guy, memorable...the total package more or less. And he also gave us the funniest moment in AI history by calling out Simon for being behind the Teletubbies. I had no idea, but you could easily tell that Simon was genuinely PISSED after Chris said that. Yikes. He can dish it out, but he apparently can't take it.

10. Jared Cotter - We haven't seen anything out of this guy until tonight, and he definitely held his own. For some reason, the judges weren't very high on him, but I liked him. I hope he makes it through to the next round. He's definitely more deserving than some of these other guys. You know, they said during the Hollywood round that the girls outnumbered the guys 2-1 this year, and I'm not all that surprised. A lot of these guys left me feeling really bored. I guess they'll improve, but there were only like 3-4 semi decent guys tonight.

11. AJ Tabaldo - You know, this guy sounded halfway decent, but I can't get past the fact that he popped his collar. I just can't look the other way on this. This automatically makes him a tool. Maybe he'll get some fashion advice on this, but if not, then I hope he meets an early demise on this show.

12. Phil Stacey - A couple of things here. I was looking forward to hearing him. They always save the best guy for last in the first week. Seriously, it always happens. You think this is a random draw? Think again. Anyway, the beginning of his song sucked big time. But, he recovered and really showed that he is in the top tier of the guys this year. He easily had the best vocal performance of the week. My only complaint is that he needs to either grow some hair, or go back to hats. He kind of looks like a cross between Gollum and a cancer patient. I think his ears stick out too much. But anyway, dude can blow, as Randy would say.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I'm looking forward to the girls tomorrow night.

No comments: