Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Ramblings

Too much to cover here, so I'm just going to ramble about whatever comes to mind.

- 24 was a little slow this week, but the twist at the end was great. It was pretty clear that they are using this episode to drop a bomb in the coming weeks. For those of you who aren't caught up on the previous season (everyone except me), the guy at the end, Charles Logan, was the President last season. He was implicated in the death of David Palmer, the President during seasons 2 and 3. I was kind of surprised by this, because I figured he would be in prison or something. I'm looking forward to seeing the fallout from the end of last season. Also, he is sporting a heck of a beard this time around. First Jack and now Logan. Amazing. It's like they're having their own version of the "facial hair challenge" this year.

One thing that slightly bothers me is that Phillip Bauer had the balls to kill Graem, but not Jack. Maybe he couldn't bring himself to kill two of his offspring. What an upstanding guy! Anyway, they both have the same agenda (finding Redenko) albeit for different reasons.

- Lost was just downright weird this week, but still fascinating. Apparently Desmond is stuck in some kind of weird timewarp. I'm not even going to try to figure out what is going on with this island. I swear, these writers must be hanging out with Snoop Dogg and the sticky-icky too much, because they really leave you scratching your head each week. The one redeeming moment of the show was the preview for next week, where we supposedly get answers to three of the island's biggest mysteries. Whatever, I'll believe it when I see it. Even last year, when they explained what caused their plane to crash, it raised about 50 more questions than it answered. But I'll keep my fingers crossed just in case.

- The American Idol dudes sing tonight. I swear, 2 hours tonight, 2 hours tomorrow night, and another hour on Thursday night is just too much. Obviously I'm not going to miss a second of it, but what a time commitment! I have no idea who should be favored at this point, although I'm a big fan of Chris Sligh, and I guess Phil Stacy is pretty good too. For the girls, I don't really know. We'll just have to wait and see. Expect full recaps in the next couple of days. I warned you guys months ago that once 24, Lost and American Idol were running at the same time, I'd be monopolizing this blog.

- I've seen a bunch of movies lately and thought I should provide a little detail as to what you should see and what you should avoid.
  • The Hills Have Eyes - Not a whole lot going on in plot here, but a BUNCH of crazy violence here. I had to turn my eyes away from the screen a legitimate 5 or 6 times because I couldn't bring myself to watch what was happening. I think they tried to market this thing as a scary movie, but it really wasn't scary...just really gory. I give it a 6 out of 10. Watchable, but you're not missing much.
  • John Tucker Must Die - This one was kind of dumb. The premise is that John Tucker, the good looking, superstar basketball player, high school kid is a player, and the girls he's messing around with want to get him back. So one of them pretends to date him...you know what, as I'm explaining this, I realize how lame it was. If your wife really really wants to see it, then go ahead, but stay away otherwise. There are some really lame things, like where they start sneaking estrogen pills into John's energy drinks, and he starts acting like a chick within minutes. Dumb. Rating of 4 out of 10.
  • Clerks 2 - If you have enjoyed any of Kevin Smith's other movies, do yourself a favor and rent this. I was scared, thinking that it probably wouldn't be any good, and that KS was just trying to make some money after his other stuff has bombed. Well it was actually very enjoyable. The Quick Stop burns down, and Dante and Randall are stuck working at Mooby's, essentially a clone of McDonald's. Jay and Silent Bob return as well, fresh out of rehab. They've found Jesus too. I don't want to say anything else, just get it. Rating of 9 out of 10.
  • Sideways - This movie's about an aspiring author who's down on his luck. His actor buddy is about to get married, and they go on a tour of California's wine country. This probably doesn't sound very interesting, but it's actually a really good movie. The main character is kind of whiny, and sort of brings the movie to a kind of gloomy level because he's so pessimistic. But it's definitely entertaining and worth a rent. Rating of 7.5 out of 10.

- The last thing I'll mention here is my weekly vagina update. I'm pissed at the writers of Grey's Anatomy. We were told that someone was going to die this week. At the end of the episode, Meredith appears to die, only to be told that her life hangs in the balance during the next episode. I feel like I've been lied to. Maybe they meant someone would die next week, but they should have made it more clear. Meredith isn't going to die, she's the lead of the show! She would be a fool to give it up, as would pretty much any of them. If anyone dies this Thursday, it will be more of a minor character. I'd be shocked otherwise. Oh, and Desperate Housewives was great this week too. They wrapped up the entire Orson/Monique/Delfino storyline very nicely. At the end I couldn't help but say to myself "wow, that was actually really good." Usually big, elaborate stories like this really don't pan out, especially on this show (see the Applewhites last season), but this time the writers really pulled it off. My hats off to them.

That's all for now. I promise.

No comments: