Monday, February 05, 2007

DVD Review - Transamerica

DISCLAIMER

I had no idea what this movie was about when we rented it. Actually, we didn't rent it, my wife ordered it from Blockbuster Online, which is an amazing service. You can select any three movies at any given time, and they'll mail them to you. When you're done, send it back in the return envelope and they'll ship you the next one you request in your online queue. It's a great service, and I cannot recommend it enough. If you would rather, you can return the movie to your local blockbuster, and pick up a free in-store rental. Seriously, what could be better than this? And it's only $16.95 a month. So if you rent 3-4 DVD's per month, it makes 100% sense to do this.

Just make sure you don't rent Transamerica in the process. Good lord. I had literally no idea what it was about when we loaded it into the DVD player. I asked my wife what she knew about it, and she mentioned a woman playing a man who wants to be a woman. What??? Basically, Felicity Huffman plays the role of a guy who dresses like a woman and is about to have a sex change operation. She/He gets word that her/his kid is in trouble with the law in New York, so Felicity travels to the big apple to see her son.

I'm not going to bother with the details of the rest of the movie. It wasn't a feel-good movie, and it wasn't a depressing movie. It didn't bring any emotion out other than disgust. Even the acting was terrible. Felicity Huffman spoke in this weird monotone voice the whole time. It was almost like they were trying to go Forrest Gump style and win her an Oscar. Unfortunately for the writers and everyone else associated with this train wreck, the movie sucked. If you want the plot in a nutshell, I will say that there is a shot of a fake penis at one point, and another shot of Felicity Huffman's boobs. These are bad things. I am having trouble removing the images from my head right now. Anyway, don't rent this, don't let your wife think that it's a good idea to rent...just stay away. Very far away. I shipped that sucker back to Blockbuster first thing on Saturday morning.

Thank goodness Clerks 2 is up next.

Overall Rating: 0 out of 10. Even the gag reel sucked.

3 comments:

Josh said...

I can't believe you didn't know about this, especially with your affinity for Desperate Housewives. You may need a shower to get rid of this one...

Big Shaky said...

i've never even heard of it. but, usually that means, i don't watch it either. you really need to start making a stand on the whole movie front.

Brent said...

Well like I said, I didn't know what I was getting into. The wife sounded pretty confident that it was a good movie, so I trusted her judgment. Next time I'll ask for plot details first.

Thankfully, Clerks 2 is on its way now, so that's the silver lining if there is any.