Sunday, January 21, 2007

AFC Championship Game

I have to admit - I'm kind of a bandwagon guy this postseason. I was rooting for Indy in this one for two reasons - 1) because the whooped the Chiefs pretty good and 2) I think Peyton Manning deserves a trip to the Super Bowl. I must admit that I was skeptical because of the whole Manning-chokes-in-the-post-season-against-the-Pats thing that's happened before. That, coupled with the fact that Manning's numbers weren't his best (by far) in the playoffs, didn't really allow me to get my hopes up. Well, it didn't matter because they won in an exciting fashion. This time, it was Manning orchestrating the winning drive and Brady missing at the end.

One point I do want to make - what is with Indy's defense? Were they just saving their best for the playoffs? How do they allow 100 yard rushers in all 16 regular season games, but not a single one in the playoffs? Hasn't it been the other way around in the past? I just don't get it. It's like the bazarro Colts showed up and told the real ones to stay home.

Point #2 - Why did the Patriots completely abandon the run? They had 84 rushing yards (as a team) in the first quarter alone, but then just quit running the ball. Isn't Belichik a genius? Am I the only one that thinks that they should have continued with the 3 to 2 run-pass ratio, especially since it was working? I should be a coach. Somebody get the Dolphins and Steelers on the phone. I gotta get an agent.

All this equates to a Indy-Chicago Super Bowl. On paper, it looks like a pretty good match-up. Chicago's fast D vs. Indy's high power O. Chicago's iffy offense with Sexy Rexy at the helm vs. who knows which Indy D will show up. And with Prince performing at halftime, how could you not watch. Nothing says football like Little Red Corvette and Raspberry Baret!

3 comments:

Brent said...

Good defense always beats good offense. But there's always the X-factor of Sexy Rexy and the shaky Colts D. Whichever one wilts will probably cost their team the game.

Also, is anyone else expecting something big out of Devin Hester? He's been quiet as of late.

I really wanted to see the Saints win, with all the stuff that has happened to the city of New Orleans, but hey, I'm glad to see the Bears there as well. I'm sick of the Patriots.

Brent said...

Oh yeah, and how ridiculous was Manning's throw off his back foot on the game winning drive?

Big Shaky said...

Prince won't be near as fun to watch this year. No one will be praying for a wardrobe malfunction, that's for sure. Maybe next year they'll bring in the Spice Girls.
Congrats to Manning. He's the man and I'm just glad he's getting to the big game.
I think it'll be a great game in 2 weeks. If you look back about 6 weeks or so, I called the Super Bowl match up and no one agreed with me. Hold on.....man it's hard to pat your own back!!!