Monday, January 01, 2007

Playoffs?!?!

A week ago today, I thought the Kansas City Chiefs were eliminated from the playoffs. Actually, I was pretty sure of this all the way back in week 1 as rain was pouring down on Arrowhead Stadium and Trent Green was being carried off the field on a stretcher. First, Willie Roaf retired and T-Rich left for Minnesota. Now the franchise QB, the one guy we could not possibly survive without, was laying on the ground after taking a vicious shot to the head.

Fast-Forward 17 weeks, and WE'RE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!! How the heck did this happen?

Yesterday I checked ESPN.com and saw that we were still mathematically alive, but I didn't even really notice what needed to happen because I figured the playoff chance was so remote, that it wasn't even looking into. I opened a copy of the KC Star, and here's what needed to happen:

1) We had to beat Jacksonville. I actually felt pretty good about this one. We're playing at home against a Florida team when the forecast called for flurries and cold weather all day long. Perfect. Jacksonville played a good game, and we were far from perfect, but it was just enough to pull through. Sidebar: Trent Green looked awful, Damon Huard looked magnificent. This still isn't quite the same as Gannon/Grbac, since Green has been playing for the last 2 months, but after the game yesterday, there are going to be plenty of people in town calling for Huard to start. Of course it may not even matter, since Indy's run defense allows 5+yards per carry. LJ will have 40 carries.

With the game in hand, I glanced at my phone to check the Pittsburgh/Cincinnati and New England Tennessee scores. Both were close game. I was nervous.

2) New England had to beat Tennessee. I figured this was a pretty easy one. Tennessee has gotten much better this year, but New England is the epitome of a professional football team. They're not flashy, but they get the job done more often than not. It was a close game as I was walking out of Arrowhead, but by the time I got to the car, the Pats had put the game out of reach.

3) Pittsburgh had to beat Cincinnati. I thought this game was a coinflip. Obviously Cincy was playing for something and Pittsburgh was not, but it's a division game, so anything can happen. The final seconds were waning off the clock at Arrowhead when about 2 sections over, this group of people starts going crazy yelling about wide right. I knew the game was tied going down to the wire in the first quarter, so there was our break. Then just as 0:00 hit, the cut to the game on Arrowvision, and the Steelers had just scored a TD. But everyone was kind of holding their breath, because there was still one more miracle that needed to happen.

4) San Francisco had to beat Denver. In Denver no less. Definitely NOT feeling good about that one. On the radio, the guys on 101.1 said that Denver blew a couple early chances and had to settle for field goals. By the time I got home and the second half was underway, it was 13-3 and I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. I guess it was just too good to be true. But the 9ers chipped away with a nice TD pass followed by an absolute GIFT from Jay Cutler to Walt Harris. Pick 6 the other way, and we're in business! A late field goal gave Frisco a 7 point lead. But you just knew Denver would respond. 80 yards later we have a tie ball game.

In OT, two Denver drives stalled. Unbelievable. I would have bet almost anything that if Denver gets to OT drives, they score on at least one of them. Totally amazing. But with time running down, I was halfway convinced that the game would end in a tie, which was all the Broncos needed for a playoff birth. But one reverse and one pass later, we're in field goal territory and Joe Freaking Nedney has the chance to become a hero in a town 600 miles to the east. He nailed the kick (barely...I actually thought he missed it and started sreaming obscenities) and the game was over.

It took a few seconds to really sink in. I couldn't believe it, the game was actually over...no more chances for Denver...Chiefs in, Broncos out. What an amazing chain of events. I really hope we take out Indy next week. They've done it to us twice, so some revenge would be sweet. I honestly don't think we have a prayer of winning that game, but then again, I didn't think we had a prayer of making it to the playoffs either.

And just for fun, here are a couple Jim Mora meltdowns. Can't we bring this guy back to be someone's media relations person? This needs to happen.

6 comments:

Josh said...

I think someone was talking weeks ago that Huard should have stayed in and Green should have been relegated to 2nd string. I just can't remember who said it...

Anyway, I wish I were wrong, but I just can't imagine that they have a chance in hell against Indy. They own us in the playoffs. It's going to be a shoot-out, but Green will make just enough mistakes that we will fall behind. At Arrowhead - maybe, at Indy - no way.

Big Shaky said...

Chiefs 31, Colts 27. Write it down baby!!!

Big Shaky said...

Carl Peterson must have thought we were done last week too. He decided to put Jason Dunn, one of the best blocking tight ends in football, on the IR. Yep, that means he can't be touched the rest of the year. It sure would have been nice to go into Indy with 2 good tight ends, especially when the theme will be Larry, Larry, Larry.

Brent said...

I just read about that yesterday. Unbelievable. And it was all done to protect guys like Casey Printers. Who cares about guys like that anyway? He has about a .0001% chance of panning out. Ridiculous.

Dunn said himself that he had been playing with the injury for the last 6 weeks. Way to go Carl.

Big Shaky said...

It's OK as long as Jordan Black doesn't get hurt. We would we do without that guy?

Brent said...

Black and Welbourne are the backbone of our offense. Without them, we'd be mediocre.