Monday, January 22, 2007

I have a dream...........

......that someday I'll be able to stop hearing about what freakin' color the coaches are in the Super Bowl.
Seriously. I couldn't give 2 squirts of piss that Lovie and Tony are both the first black coaches to lead their teams to the Super Bowl. This is all we will hear about for 2 weeks now. On NFL network this morning, Deion Sanders made a big deal about how proud he was to be a black man and all that crap. It's a joke. It's official. Society has officially made the drama before the game, bigger than the game itself. Ridiculous.
I love football. I love the game. I love the one-on-one battles, the schemes, and the combination of strength, speed, and finesse necessarry to be a great player. I hate TV timeouts, end zone dances, and story lines.
I think Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith are good, scratch that, great coaches. I also think, in a day of thugs and bling, that they are wonderful ambassadors for the NFL, great people. Why can't it be left at that? Do you think that before Super Bowl 1, everyone was talking about Lombardi and Stram being the first white coaches to coach in the Super Bowl? It's the truth, they were. Why wasn't that a story line??
I know I'm treading on thin ice in a politically correct world of fruits and nuts, but seriously, just play the damn game.
You want a story line? Guess what? Michael Vick is the first black QB in the NFL to get a fake water bottle confiscated in an airport. Nice.
Peyton manning is one of the best people in football. But outside Indianapolis, you won't see his jersey on anyone. You will see T.O.'s, Mike Vick's, Ray Lewis', etc. These guys are all head cases, drug users and murderers. But, they're black, so let's make sure we glorify them to the utmost.
Man, I'm all over the place with this post!
Best of luck to Tony and Lovie, they are good men regardless of race or color.

Hail to the Nuge.

3 comments:

Brent said...

You know, this is a subject I feel pretty strongly about. If we're really striving for equality in this country, then shouldn't this not even be a story? I couldn't care less who is coaching these teams. They're obviously great coaches. Does it even matter if they're black? Why would a black man feel proud that a black man is coaching a Super Bowl team? No sporting event has ever made me feel such a pride. I just don't get it.

I guess it's just a bunch of media puff pieces, since they have to write about something. I just wish that we could really focus on equality, and focus on the game itself.

Big Shaky said...

i agree. i just don't get it. it just gets old when us white males get blamed for everything whether we have anything to do with it or not!
women traditionally don't make as much money as men. why is that my fault? it's starting to balance out more now, give it time. women used to stay home and raise the family not too far in the past.
same with blacks. they haven't worked the higher profile jobs and got paid the bigger paychecks because traditionally, they aren't as well educated. i'm not saying none of them are educated, don't get me wrong. but now, there's more and more getting to college. give it time, it will balance out.
my problem is, the public spends so much time being apologetic to these folks that it's going to tip too far. ask josh about when he took the test to get into the umkc 6 year med program. how many white men were there josh?? just you right? see, too much "equality" isn't equality at all.

Josh said...

I think we should just count the number of black millionaires compared to white millionaires in the game of football. They outnumber them 2-1, maybe 3-1??? The fact that it's being shoved down our throats is ridiculous. The blacks just want to site every time that they are in a position of power. Why don't we here about their plight because there are no black kickers in the league???