Wednesday, January 10, 2007

My Plea to Matt and Josh

I don't ask for much, so hear me out. This Sunday is going to be a whale of a day. First things first is the divisional round of the NFL playoffs. Now that our horse, the Chiefs, have broken their leg, been taken out back and shot, we can just relax and enjoy the playoffs. First up, Seattle is at Chicago at noon on Fox. Later, New England is at San Diego at 3:30 on CBS. But the main event starts at 7:00 back on Fox. It's the season premier of 24. And both of you should watch. It's a great show, and I need someone to discuss it with. Just devote two hours of your Sunday night and give it a try. Send the wife to the other room to watch Desperate Housewives. Do whatever it takes. The premier is a 2 night event, two hours Sunday night, and 2 hours Monday night. I can all but guarantee that the Nuge is a fan of the show, and you will be too.

Here's what you need to know.

Some background...The show is based around the Los Angeles Counter-Terrorist Unit (CTU). How could a couple of Republicans such as yourselves not enjoy a show about killing terrorists? Doesn't that sound cooler than watching a re-run of Laguna Beach (Josh)? Everything takes place in real time, so there are no flashbacks, slow motion, or time jumps of any kind. Everything is shown as it happens, and each show lasts for one hour. Obviously, each season entails preventing a disastrous terrorist attack, and this one is no different. This time around, there have been a series of attacks on various cities, and the county is in a state of disarray. I really don't know much more than that, because I've been trying to avoid any plot spoilers.

On to the cast.

Jack Bauer (played by Kiefer Sutherland) is a government agent for CTU, and is without question the star of the show. When we last saw Jack, he was being abducted by the Chinese government thanks to his role in the death of one of their government officials. It's a long story, but that's all you really need to know. He's been in some kind of torture camp for the last 18 months (give or take) and is sporting a heck of a beard this year. Of course, this is not entirely a one-man show, so here are some of the other characters that you need to know about in order to really grasp what is going on.

Chloe O'Brian: She's the resident computer genius at CTU. She also has some kind of personality issue where she's extremely rude to everyone and is totally insensitive of their feelings. Sounds like someone I know. Anyway, at some point, I'm sure she'll be working with Jack behind someone else's back. She can hack into anything at any time and is a very valuable asset to Jack.

Bill Buchanan: He's the head honcho at CTU. He probably won't bring a whole lot to the table, but he'll be prominently involved in whatever CTU is doing.



Wayne Palmer: I should probably list him higher, since he's the President of the United States. He is also the brother of former 24 President David Palmer, and was actually David's chief of staff during Season 3. I honestly have no idea what kind of a President he will turn out to be, but I'm going to guess that he'll be involved in at least one shady story line. He did most of David's dirty work when he was President.


Audrey Raines: She works for the Department of Defense and has had big roles over the last two seasons. She's Jack's love interest on the show (don't worry, it's more of a subplot, if anything). I'm not really sure if she'll have a big role this season or not. Kim Raver was working on "The Nine" this fall, but it tanked, so this is really anybody's guess.

Curtis Manning: He's a CTU field agent, and there really isn't a whole lot else to say. He doesn't bring much charisma to the screen, but he's usually heading up whatever operation that isn't being done single handedly by Jack.



Kim Bauer: Jack's estranged daughter. Most fans of the show would rather see her go away forever. She probably won't even make an appearance this season, and I'm fine with that. If she does happen to show up, she'll probably be killed. There just isn't much use for her anymore.


That's basically all you need to know. Give it a shot. Seriously, it's the most addicting show on TV. Nothing else is close. Neither of you losers even bother watching Friday Night Lights anymore, but this is your chance to redeem yourselves. Besides, I'm still going to post 3,000 words per week about it whether you watch or not, so you might as well check it out.

In Daughtry We Trust

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with this Chucklehead. The only way this show would be better is if Mork from fucking Ork was in it. This is the show to watch. Jack Bauer is my idol. On New Year's day, I laid in bed in watched 8 episodes of season 5 back to back while eating pizza, went to bed, and watched 4 episodes after work the next day.

I am pumped for season 6. I've watched 4 of the 5 seasons now, and in each season, there is a terrorist plot, but it has never gotten old. They always find ways to shock you, whether it be by building up characters to where you love them, and then killing them, or allowing Rudy to die in a heroic effort. 24 is where it's at. It is beyond explantion. If you don't watch it, you are just fucking clown shoes.

Big Shaky said...

Wow, who is this potty-mouth joker!?
I was going to tell you Brent....I've got your back, I'll watch it. I'll take one for the team!! If you think the Nuge watches it, then by all means, I better tune in!

Brent said...

Brothers Byington could not have said it better. I have a man-crush on Jack Bauer.

Besides, it's not like you have anything better to do on Sunday night anyway.

Brent said...

In all seriousness, don't shy away because you don't think you'll be able to understand what is going on. Everything you need to know is in the original post. This isn't LOST where if you miss one episode, it's impossible to figure out anything. Each season has a separate storyline, and they are fairly independent of each other.

Big Shaky said...

You had me at hello. I'm watching it.

Wait a minute....Daughtry....."man-crush"......is your "wife" aware of your tendencies???

Anonymous said...

Tying in to what my boy-toy said, you should go back and watch the other seasons when you get a chance.

Josh said...

I'm in. I never had a problem with seeing it, it just didn't fit into my busy NFL, RW/RR The Duel, The Hills and Grey's Anatomy schedule. I'll make sure and squeeze it in this season, even though American Idol is also around this spring. Man it's a good thing I'm married with nothing better to do!!!

Brent said...

It's on at 8 pm on Monday nights normally, which is sweet because Monday TV sucks. It will be a perfect warmup for CSI Miami. And don't even consider watching 2 and a half men instead. That sounds just a little gay.

Brent said...

Oh, and I have seasons 1, 2, 3 and 5 on DVD, and anyone is more than welcome to borrow.

Anonymous said...

Brent. Why are you missing the best season from your collection. You must be retarded.

Brent said...

I blew it and rented instead of buying.

I watched the entire season in 4 days.