Thursday, January 04, 2007

DVD Review - Miami Vice

First of all, I had no expectations going into this one - and I was not disappointed. This movie is much like the Chiefs 2006 campaign - it is meteocre in every sense of the word. The two main issues with this movie are:

1) It is nothing like the original TV series. The only similarities are the names of Crockett and Tubbs, they're in Miami and they're chasing a drug cartel. That's it. It is set in modern day with Crockett and Tubbs in trendy clothes and riding in expensive Ferrari's and speed boats. And yes, they were both wearing socks for the entire movie. Ridiculous. Not one single pasel shirt or bunched-up jacket sleeve. If I had never heard the title "Miami Vice," I would have never known that they were related.

2) Colin Farrel sucks. Period. He is a horrible actor and was never believable as a detective, let alone Sonny Crockett. And, to top it off, it had a mustache...yes, a mustache. It was terrible! He looked more like a Boogie Nights extra than a police detective. He could not cover up is Irish accent either. He was pronouncing every word like he was a finalist in the spelling bee. Somebody more believable could have really helped this movie.

The chase scenes, exposions and shootouts made this one tolerable and the plot was pretty good. Jamie Foxx did a good job as Tubbs, too. I just wish that they would have made it more 80's-ish and actually patterned it after the TV show. It was not good, but not bad either.

Grade: 6 out of 10

4 comments:

Brent said...

Pretty disappointing...I had considered renting this a couple of weeks ago, but now I'm glad I stayed away. Plus, it give me more alone time with my Daughtry album.

Big Shaky said...

I heard if you play it backwards there's some subliminal messages in there.
Someone said they heard, "I'm gay, keep listening and soon you'll be gay too.....I like tater tots."
I don't know, that's just what I heard.

Brent said...

What a coincidence, I love tater tots!

Big Shaky said...

Me too. Damn that Daughtry!