Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I love the Broncos!!!

No, no, not the Denver ones. Even though I do appreciate their efforts (or lack thereof) in aiding the Kansas City Chiefs' bid to the playoffs. I'm talking about Boise State. Monday night, I think I watched the most entertaining college football game that I've ever seen in my life. No exaggeration.
Boise State beat the Oklahoma Sooners in the Fiesta Bowl. Only the second team in a non-BCS conference to win in a BCS bowl since the inception of the BS......sorry, BCS. The first team was my Utes from the University of Utah when they beat Pitt 2 years ago with Alex Smith at the helm. By the way, thank you Alex for your part in the Chiefs' extended season.
I'm not even going to do a play-by-play on the game. There's no way to do a game like that justice with words. All I can tell you is that Bob Stoops was completely out-coached. His players were out-hustled, and I think we've just found a new offensive genious! Within the last minute of the game, plus overtime, they ran a hook and lateral on 4th and 18 and scored on it with 7 seconds left in regulation. In overtime, they scored their touchdown on a halfback "run-pass" option where the back ended up throwing the touchdown pass to the tight end in the back of the endzone with the QB, Jared Zabansky, in motion.
Then, to beat all, this coach has the balls to go for 2 and just end it at 1 overtime. They run the "Statue of Liberty" play!! It was the best executed play of that kind that I've ever seen. Ian Johnson ran into the endzone with no defensive players within 15 yards of him!!
Zabransky put on one of the most gutsy performances I've ever seen at the QB position in college. He threw an interception with only a minute left in the game to put OU ahead by 7. In 53 seconds, he takes his team down the field to tie it up, sending it to OT. He was nails.
I had goose bumps at the end of that game. It's one that I will truly never forget.
I know I might piss some people off by saying this, especially in this part of the country, but Big 12 football bores me now. I started really watching WAC and Mountain West games about 10 years ago and love the brand of football that they bring to the table. I'm not saying that all those teams in those conferences are the same caliber as the Big 12 or SEC, but they play with some heart, they put up some points, and it seems that they have some real offensive minds in these leagues.
So sue me.

8 comments:

Brent said...

I didn't see the game live, but I could not believe my eyes when I saw the highlights the following morning. Extremely gutsy playcalling, and an incredibly wild finish. The Statue of Liberty play to end it might have been the most insane call of all time. I definitely missed out on a great game.

Big Shaky said...

You must have been listening to some hard core Daughtry that night or something. Did you know if you watch Talledega Nights with no volume and Listen to the Daughtry CD at the same time it totally follows the movie.

Brent said...

Ass.

Don't worry, when American Idol comes back, I'll have plenty of 5,000 word posts. I'm sure you can't wait to read them.

Nuge sucks.

Josh said...

I just saw Kelly Pickler's video again on CMT. Daughtry can't hold her jock! Or thong... whatever.

Josh said...

I also loved this game, though. I can't remember having that much fun watching a college football game by myself. And, it was just more proof of the need for a playoff in Div 1-A.

Big Shaky said...

Blasphemy!! The Nuge is not only a rocker, but a pioneer in the battle against all tyrannical hippies. He would not only kick Daughtry's ass, but he would then write a cook book on the best way to fry him up!

Brent said...

A cook book? So the Nuge is about as tough as Martha Stewart? I guess that's not so bad, considering she's done some hard time.

Big Shaky said...

That's right, hard knock life bia***!!!