Saturday, January 20, 2007

DVD Review: Danika

It's Saturday night and we're snowed in, so the trip to Blockbuster was a no brainer. I've been pretty disappointed with the selection lately. I've seen pretty much everything that looks good, so tonight we were just sort of grasping at straws. The wife wanted to see Danika, which according to the back of the box is about some woman experiencing hallucinations and having some kind of paranormal premonitions, so I figured what the hell. Besides, that just means that I'm entitled to a guy movie at some point in the future.

The other reason I decided not to put up a fight is because Marisa Tomei has the leading role. I don't know about anyone else, but I think she's pretty attractive, especially considering she's 43. Maybe I just think that way because George Constanza had a thing for her. But I digress.

The movie was actually pretty good. Marisa's character seems to be having weird hallucinations, and it seems like she's some kind of psychic, especially after a couple of things she dreams about come true. It's like she has ESP. It's actually pretty suspenseful...much more than I thought it would be. Usually movies about stuff like this are borderline retarded, but this was completely watchable.

Possibly the most surprising thing about the entire movie was that it ended at the 1 hr 15 min mark. I seriously thought it would be like a 2 hour movie. I mean, even movies like Old School are at least 1 hr 20 min long. This might be the shortest movie ever filmed. I can't say that I would recommend this flick, but if your wife is considering it, go ahead and convince her to get it. You'll probably like it, but even if you don't, you're barely out of an hour of time. Not bad!

Rating: 8 out of 10 (gains a point because of Tomei and short run time)

3 comments:

Josh said...

Not a bad deal - somebody made a 1 hr. 15 min. long good-bad movie. They should give those producers and director an award just for that!

Brent said...

It should definitely be an Oscar category.

Anonymous said...

Marisa Tomei is 42.