Tuesday, January 30, 2007

24 Day 6: 11:00 am - 12:00 pm

Maybe my expectations were too high coming in (come to think of it, they could not have been higher). Maybe I started watching way too late (after 10:30). Maybe I just need some time to get warmed up to some of the new characters. Maybe this episode was laying a lot of the groundwork for the rest of the season. But I didn't care for last night's episode very much. I feel awful for even having such a thought.

There are a couple of reasons why I feel this way. The most noticeable thing for me is the lack of action at CTU, or at least the lack of any good scenes at CTU. The only person there who I really care about is Chloe, and she is almost completely an afterthought this season. Buchanan is getting a lot of face time, but he's never been the type of character you root for. Maybe they're setting him up to be that guy. We're really hurt by not having a sidekick of sorts for Chloe. In past seasons, we had Tony and Michelle, or Chloe and Edgar, or some combination of those 4. But now we're pretty much stuck with Chloe and a bunch of stiffs. Milo (Eric Balfour)? Give me a break. Why they decided to give that guy a run on this show is beyond me. He's been on several cancelled shows, most recently "Conviction" on NBC. Let's just say I'm not a big fan. The other new focal point of CTU, Nadia, is pretty nice to look at...the best CTU has ever had in the eye candy department...but she's just sort of there at this point. She seems like the obvious mole candidate, so I hope the writers don't go down that path. They need to have someone they can keep around for a couple of years, and I think she's the best bet. In the meantime, she's at least letting me throw around American Pie jokes with my buddy Dave.

My next problem is the whole plot revolving around Sondra Palmer. I hope and pray that the writers are just trying to buy some time, and that they really end up throwing in some kind of twist with what is going on here. Being related to the President, you'd think that Sondra would be a pretty important character, but they've spent six episodes now with these muslim detainees, only to find out that these guys don't have anything to do with the attacks we've seen. Thanks for wasting our time.

Ok, now enough with the bad stuff...on to the good stuff. I'm liking the stuff around Jack, and I really wish that they would focus on him more. The twist at the end was suprising, but not a jaw dropper. Graem is one bad dude, and he'll get his sooner or later. In fact, I'm practically giddy for the next episode.

In Bauer We Trust

6 comments:

Big Shaky said...

I was a bit disappointed as well. I caught myself sitting on the edge of my seat, only to not have anything happen. I will say this, more Jack= better show. He's a bad mother and obviously his character is the main reason people watch. I wanted Graem dead so bad last night. What a weasle! I can't believe Buchanon's wife caved that easy either.
It was a good show, but not a great one. I have a good feeling about next week though!
Change of subject.....how 'bout that gal on CSI Miami last night? That Cuban bombshell from the lab. Her last name on the show is Boa Vista. She looked magnificent last night. Just an observation!

Brent said...

I'm about 1000% sure that next week's show is going to kick ass. I guess you have to cut the writers some slack every now and again. Like I said, it's entirely possible that they used this episode to set up whatever is coming next.

One thing that they did accomplish is that I want to kick the chief of staff in the nads. Calling him a snake doesn't do him justice.

Brent said...

And by the way, even a boring episode of this show beats the hell out of most other shows. If I sat down to watch anything else at 10:30 pm, I'd be lights out in the first 15 minutes.

I can't bring myself to watch CSI Miami...too much Horatio. I love the original though.

Josh said...

It was a slower episode of 24, but think about it - every single hour can't be ass kickings and explosions. They almost have to slow it down now and then just to keep it realistic. Plus, I do think that it is setting up some future things on the show.

I just saw the DVD commercial for Marine with John Cena while I was typing this. Is anyone else just wanting to see that for the unintentional comedy???

Big Shaky said...

If I watched the movie "Stone Cold" with Brian Bosworth, you can be sure that I'll watch this one. Well, maybe when it comes out on cable.....like Spike TV or something like that. I won't spend money on it, that's for sure.
That dude is ripped though!

Brent said...

Cena had a rap video that they showed on RAW one time. It was horrifying, and I think the unintentional comedy was off the charts. It might be out on Youtube somewhere.