Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Catch the damn ball!!!

I know I might be beating a dead horse, but I think it needs some more beatin'!
Over the last 2 weeks, I have seen more passes dropped than I can ever remember. I know I'm fat, white, and slow now, but when I was a reveiver, the first thing was to catch the ball. Eddie Kennison, Sammy Parker, Terrell Owens, Keyshawn Johnson, but especially the entire receiving corps for the New York Giants and the New Orleans Saints. They set a record in a game for most dropped passes. The count was up to 16 at the end of the 3rd quarter. I had to stop watching. Brutal.
I was a receiver my entire life. I know, I know, I never played pro ball. I don't know how tough it is. Hogwash! I played in high school and college. Not big college, mind you, but college nonetheless. I can tell you honestly that I never dropped a pass in a game. I fumbled once in my career after I caught it and got smacked, but I never dropped a pass. My job was to catch the ball, and on plays that I didn't get thrown to, I hit someone, and enjoyed it! These receivers need to take off the gloves. I know they say they are sticky and all that crap, but obviously there's more to catching the ball than having sticky hands. When a QB is throwing the ball at 65 or 70 MPH, sticky doesn't help when the ball is bouncing off those skillets that you call hands. You have to be able to feel the ball. Bill Morris, the greatest coach I ever had, was my receiving coach in high school. He first preached concentration. You can't catch what you don't see. The next thing he always told us was to act like the football was a boob. That's right, he spoke to us in a language that high school boys could understand. If you are too light with it, nothing, she doesn't even know you are their. Too hard and you have a restraining order the next day........so I've heard. You have to be a little bit of both. Soft enough to bring it in, but firm enough to hold on once you feel it. And it's real tough to feel it when you have gloves on. So take them off!
Because of these lessons, I will always be a legendary receiver in my mind.
So to all those professional receivers that read this blog, take off the gloves and catch the damn ball. It's only your job.
Hippies.

3 comments:

Josh said...

If a football is a boob, then I'm All Pro!!!

I agree, though. I'm really tired of premadonna receivers who just walk around making excuses. I blame Mickael Irvin. He was the first real sissy that complained and acted more than he played. My hero is Wes Welker.

Brent said...

Wes Welker?!? Starvin' Marvin has been on fire as of late. Too bad I didn't have him on my fantasy team!

Big Shaky said...

Marvin Harrison is second only to Jerry Rice in my book. Followed closely by Steve Largent of Seattle Seahawks fame.