Thursday, December 14, 2006

Hmmmm....

It was recently asked what my opinion is on hyphenated names. If we are talking about Maurice Jones-Drew of Jacksonville Jaguars fame.....I really have no opinion on it because I can't figure out why a man has a hyphenated name. If you are referring to a woman that just gets married, my opinion is very simple.........
I think it's obsurd, arrogant, and just plain selfish. There are few things in this world for me that are un-argueable (I think I just made up a new word). The Cubs won't win a World Series in my lifetime, if my wife and I are "disagreeing" I am wrong, and the fact that when a woman gets married, she takes her husband's last name. I have heard many attempted rationales for this, but the bottom line is always the same.
If you married a woman that hyphenated her name, you can be sure that she will vote for Hillary Rodham-Clinton in 2008! More than likely she thinks her last name means more than yours and doesn't want to lose it completely. Arrogant. Or maybe she just doesn't care enough about your feelings to make her last name the same as yours. Selfish.
But the bottom line is, no matter what the reason is, you can't count on one thing......

She's a hippie.

3 comments:

Josh said...

I think the reason for a man to have a hyphenated last name is because he takes his mother's hyphenated last name. See what this does - it creates a lineage of absurdity!!!

Big Shaky said...

What happens when a man with a hippinated last name meets a woman with a hippinated last name? Does she end up with 4 last names seperated by 3 hyphens?? Where does it end??

Brent said...

And the kids are the ones that suffer! Imagine Darcy trying to spell out 4 different last names in kindergarten!