Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Da Vinci Code


I have wanted to see The Da Vinci Code for a long time. I had always considered reading the book, but never got around to it. Anyway, I had never really paid any attention to what it was really about, so when I sat down to watch it last night, I had no idea what to expect.

First things first. This plot's central storyline flies in the face of what anyone was ever taught about Christianity ever since they were a little kid. If you can't get past this issue, then you're probably not going to enjoy the movie. Personally, I look at Dan Brown's book as a work of fiction, so the movie shouldn't be any different. I'm sure that some of the theories raised in the movie are considered fact by some, but as far as I'm concerned, it's all BS, for a lack of a better word. I still enjoyed the film, although I think the subject matter is largely untrue.

The reason the film is still enjoyable is because there is actually a pretty good storyline to follow. There's a real sense of mystery going on here, and it kind of feels like I'm following the rabbit down the hole for most of the movie. It really leaves you following along from one clue to the next, with no idea what is behind the next door that is about to be opened. Just a really enjoyable 2 and a half hours.

I really liked Tom Hanks in the movie, probably because he comes from the normal Christian school of thought. Ian McKellen's character sees the other viewpoint. It's interesting and all, but to me it's just nothing more than a bunch of conspiracy theories. The kind of stuff that would be pretty mindblowing if it were true, but considering that we're 2,000+ years removed from biblical time and there's never been a shred of evidence to confirm any of it, I'll just take it as a work of fiction and go from there.

My personal rating: 8.5 out of 10

No comments: