Friday, November 03, 2006

Week 9 NFL Picks

Kansas City at St. Louis (-3)
Josh: Well, home team is first, but it looks like a tough call, so I'll let you jump on this grenade
Brent: My pleasure
Brent: I'm going with the Rams on this one. The Chiefs have been pretty bad on the road. There has been a lot of talk this week about Huard keeping the starting spot when Green comes back. I think it's crazy. Rams cover, and this week, we find out why Green is the real QB for this team.
Josh: Oooh, we start with a disagreement. I'm a homer all the way and I think LJ has a big day. Chiefs win.
Brent: STL has lost two in a row. They'll bounce back this week. The Chiefs made a lot of mistakes last week. They're different away from Arrowhead.

Cincinnati at Baltimore (-3)
Josh: Next is Bungles at Ravens, birds at -3 (pretty much a push). I'll take the home team, the Ravens, on this one and they cover.
Brent: I'll agree on this one. The Ravens have a good defense, and Steve McNair has pumped just enough life in them to make them legit. They'll cover. The Bengals don't have it this year. Carson Palmer can't be 100%, or anywhere close. And too many off-field distractions for these guys.
Josh: Notice that Chad Johnson hasn't said anything this week? Interesting...
Brent: No I hadn't. It won't matter. Ravens are feisty.
Josh: feisty...good word

Houston at New York Giants (-13)
Brent: Texans are 13 point dogs at the Giants. They are hard to figure out. Is Carr out?
Josh: I haven't heard, but Rosenfels had a decent game last week
Brent: I'm going to pick the Texans to cover this thing. They beat Jacksonville a couple of weeks ago, and beat them pretty good. Andre Johnson is a dangerous receiver. I'll go with Houston.
Brent: NYG's MO is to win ugly
Brent: Giants take it, but it will be low scoring.
Josh: You taking them to cover (-13)?
Brent: No, the texans will beat the spread
Brent: I meant to say that the Giants will take the game, but win by less than 13
Brent: Better now?
Josh: Carr is back in - Kubiak just benched him to get in his head. Ridiculous. Giants win at home and win big - they'll cover.

Tennessee at Jacksonville (-10)
Brent: Jags favored by 10 at home vs Tennessee. Your turn.
Josh: I think the Jags rebound this week vs. a weak Titan's team, especially since they are at home. They'll cover. Look for MJD to have a big game and Freddie Taylor to go out with turf toe.
Josh: or maybe a hang-nail
Brent: Freddie Taylor...the biggest decision of my weekend will be whether or not to play him this weekend. How messy would the Jax RB situation be in Greg Jones hadn't blow out his knee at the start of the season? Oh and by the way, this is the "bet the Stamper farm" pick. Jags take this one going away. Vince Young on the road against one of the best D's in the league? No thanks.
Brent: Freddie's played well this year. Cut him some slack!
Josh: ok, ok. I'd bet the farm on this one too.

Dallas (-3) at Washington
Brent: Dallas is favored by 3 on the road at Washington. This is the opposite of the bet the farm pick. With a gun to my head, I say Dallas. They really turned it on against Carolina. I had to do it, but I'm taking the Cowpokes here.
Josh: You know what, my "home town" Boys have screwed me over and over again on these picks. I'll take the 'Skins to cover. Now Romo will go for 400 yards, guaranteed.
Brent: Hey, who hasn't screwed you on your picks?

Green Bay at Buffalo (-3)
Brent: Maybe if you actually got a few right, you wouldn't have so much beef with the 'Boys
Josh: Good point. Next one is Pack at Bills, with the Bills at -3. Another push. Why are the spreads so tight this year? Anyway, I'll take Green Bay to cover, and win.
Brent: I think Green Bay is slowly getting back on track. Ahman Green even had two TD's last week...when was the last time that happened? 2003? I can't take the Bills with a straight face. I'm such a cheesehead.
Brent: Go Pack Go!!!
Josh: Hey, you're hanging right on the edge of the Cato Crapper, just barely at .500, so you better be careful...
Brent: I'm feeling it this week. I'm destined for an undefeated week at some point. This may be it.
Brent: By the way, did you watch Lost?
Josh: Yeah, and I'm with Simmons. They jump between too many characters. I'm losing interest Brent: I loved this week's episode. It was really sad to see Eko go though. This weird smoke moster seems to be something different to everyone. It also made a lot more sense before it actually killed someone. It can't be a hallucination, right? So what the heck is it? Anyway, the Saints are favored by 1 on the road at Tampa Bay. I don't like either team, but I think NO can take this one

New Orleans (-1) at Tampa Bay
Josh: Ok, Saints at Bucs with a 1 point spread. Lame. Why do they even do these spreads? The Saints were brought back to reality last week. I'll take the Bucs at home to cover.
Brent: With a 1 point spread, that means I'd have to go with TB to win if I pick them, and I can't do it. New Orleans in a close one.
Brent: Lots of disagreement this week. I think this means I'm on to something.
Josh: dick
Brent: Zing!
Josh: Dolphins at Bears. Do we even address this game?

Atlanta (-5.5) at Detroit
Brent: Don't jump ahead there buddy. Falcons favored by 5.5 at Matt Millen Field. Lots of road favorites
Brent: this week
Brent: you're up!
Josh: Oh sorry, Falcons kill Detroit and cover easily. Vick is a man-child this year and their confidence is through the roof.
Brent: Vick might be the biggest surprise of the season. I'll take Atlanta as well.
Josh: good choice

Miami at Chicago (-13.5)
Brent: and for the exciting Bears/Dolphins matchup. Give me a break. Miami is reeling. Bears are peaking now, much too early. So don't bet on them in January. The'll cover this one though.
Josh: Spread can't be high enough here. Bears cover with Ditka at QB

Minnesota (-5) at San Francisco
Brent: Vikes favored by 5 at Frisco. Go!
Brent: I'm getting pressure over here to hurry it up.
Josh: Ok, I'll take the Vikes to cover. They're pissed after what Brady did to them
Brent: I'm using the same line of thinking, but with the other team. SF got their nuts handed to them this week, so they'll be playing with a chip on their shoulder. I think they'll get this one. SF...what on earth am I thinking?
Josh: Ouch. Are you letting me beat you this week, or what???

Cleveland at San Diego (-12.5)
Brent: Chargers are favored by 12.5 at home vs. the Browns. Scoreboard buddy.
Brent: That's all I can say. This is an awful lot of points, but SD seems to be rolling, especially LDT. I think the Chargers take this and cover the spread.
Josh: Chargers win by 73 points. Cleveland's just terrible. Agreed.

Denver at Pittsburgh (-2.5)
Brent: Steelers by 2.5 at home against Denver. Interesting game.
Josh: How could the Steelers be favored vs. the Broncos at this point? I'll take the Broncos to cover, along with a lot of talk about benching Ben afterward
Brent: Steelers definitely have some super bowl hangover. SD is really going to push Denver in the west, so the Broncos will be ready to play. Broncos take it, and I'm honestly pretty surprised they aren't favored.

Indianapolis at New England (-3)
Brent: Patriots favored by 3 against the Colts. Probably the game of the week here. This is too easy to pick. Manning will beat anybody in November. He just can't win a game like this in January. Colts take this one going away, and everyone becomes conviced that they're a Super Bowl team.
Brent: I'll even go ahead and take Brady on the road at Indy in about 12 weeks
Josh: No way. You already know about my intimate feelings for Tom Brady. Pats cover and hand Indy their first loss of the season (they'll still win at least 13 games, though).

Oakland at Seattle (-8)
Brent: Lots of disagreement this week. Seattle at home, favored by 8 against Oakland caps off this week. You're up!
Josh: Oakland covers. Yes, write it down, take a picture, call Al Davis - I picked the Raiders to cover!!!
Josh: I'm screwed
Brent: Seattle got killed at home by Minnesota a couple weeks ago, and should have gotten blown out against the Chiefs. They have no defense, no Hasselbeck and no Alexander. Oakland was so bad to start the season, that nobody gives them any credit for the improvement they've shown lately. It won't be a pretty game, but no way Seattle wins by 8. Raiders baby!
Brent: And that's it for this week. Time to watch the Office!
Josh: How did we agree on the Raiders? Brutal
Brent: I know. We've come a long way. See ya next week!

4 comments:

Big Shaky said...

for the record, san fransisco has had their nuts handed to them by everyone this year and still haven't played with a chip on their shoulder. i will be interested in seeing how these different picks turn out this week.

Josh said...

Let it be said that my "putrid" 4-8 turned into 5-8 to Brent's 6-7. Wow, only one game - Brent seems to be teetering on the proverbial putridity fence. Best of luck, buddy!

Brent said...

Vegas has me as a 3 pick favorite right now.

Josh said...

Another brutal week for me. I'm not sure I can take the pain any more...