Monday, October 23, 2006

DVD Review: X-Men - The Last Stand


At long last, I was finally able to pick up a copy of X-Men - The Last Stand at Blockbuster. It was the first movie I've rented in quite some time where I would actually classify myself as "giddy" when I picked it off the shelf. I was practically addicted to the Saturday morning cartoon back in the day.

Anyway, the movie did not disappoint. The first 45 minutes was a clinic in quality special effects. There was one scene in particular where Magneto annihilated a convoy of automobiles that was just jaw dropping.

The story was even pretty good. First of all, Jean Grey is back. Apparently she died in the last movie, but she somehow survived and is at the focal point of this movie. She is a level 5 mutant (I honestly had no idea there were levels of strength). Someone has come up with the ability to suppress the mutant gene, and basically you have Professor Xavier's guys on one side vs. Magneto's guys in a huge fight.

If I had any problem with this movie, it's how ridiculously powerful Jean Grey is in relation to everyone else. It's insane. Granted, it makes for some cool special effects, but it's just crazy sometimes. She can do anything that her mind wants to do. Anyway, that doesn't drag down the movie at all. Great rental. Get it if you haven't already.

Rating: 9 out of 10

1 comment:

Big Shaky said...

Yep, I thought this one was better than the first 2. And you are right, the effeects were amazing. Also a fun one to watch with a good surround sound system. I highly recommend picking it up.