Sunday, October 08, 2006

Sports/Movie Saturday

Two part entertainment extravaganza on Saturday night. First up was Missouri at Texas Tech. What a huge game for the Tigers, on the road against a pretty tough team.

Unbelievably, they jumped out to a 24-0 start after two INT's were returned for TD's on back to back plays. I've never seen that happen before. Of course, this is the MO of MU. Two years ago, they constantly got out to fast starts only to crap the game away. So even after the good fortune of a 24-0 head start, I was still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

It didn't drop, it hit me upside the head.

Tech comes roaring back and by the end of the first drive of the third quarter, it's 24-21 and we have a ballgame. Same old Tigers, right? Apparently not. Chase Daniel (his teammates actually call him "TM" short for "The Man"...I'm all for nicknames, but this one is pretty retarded) leads the team right down the field, finding Chase Coffman all alone in the endzone for some much needed breathing room. They pretty much took the game over from there, coasting to a 38-21 victory. I was eating good at the neighborhood. Literally. I was at Applebee's for the end of the game, but at least we were near a TV.

Then we thought it would be a good idea to get a movie. We picked through all the new releases, and unfortunately the new Xmen movie was out. Bummer. But I see a comedy right next to it that claims to be as funny as the 40 Year Old Virgin right on the box. It has to be great right? It was called Thank You For Smoking. Sounds funny, has a decent case.

So we go home and pop it in the DVD player. I found myself laughing at a couple of jokes that weren't very funny, and about 40 minutes into it I got pretty sleepy. Fortunately for me, there was no reason to wake up. The movie wasn't even really all the funny. The 40 Year Old Virgin claim is fradulent. Even if it were as funny (it's not) they're totally different types of humor.

I got on Yahoo! movies to see if maybe I was just crazy, and it turns out the critics really liked it. I guess that explains why I didn't. Not to get too political, but it seems like if you're a lefty, you'd find it pretty funny, and a righty probably wouldn't. I don't even consider myself a righty, but this was freaking pathetic.

MU/Texas Tech Rating: 10 out of 10
Thank You For Smoking Rating: 2 out of 10

1 comment:

Josh said...

I also agree that the "TM" knickname is pretty retarded. For the way he's been playing as a sophomore, we gotta come up with something better than that.

As for the game, I was screaming at the TV wondering why MU decided to stop blitzing. TT scored all of their points while the Tigers rushed 3-4 and sat back in the zone. Luckily, they figured it out in the 2nd half and started pressuring Tech, which then gave us the dawning of the "Graham Harrell face." Nice one Brent!