Tuesday, October 17, 2006

MLB Playoffs

Apparently, there was a recent comment wondering why we haven't mentioned anything about the Cards - Mets series. In an effort to please everybody, I will briefly discuss the baseball playoffs. The problem is, growing up in Kansas City and being a sports fan, I tend to turn the baseball off once football starts for the following reasons:

1) The Royals suck and they have sucked for many years.
2) The Chiefs are just good enough to keep our interest, especially at the start of the season.
3) The Royals suck.
4) I like football more than baseball, period.

This being said, I think that the World Series could be intriguing this year. The Tigers are the surprise team from the AL and have mowed through the playoffs thus far. Their young pitching is great (still not good enough to keep my fantasy team out of last place, mind you) and they always seem to get the big hits when they need them.

I said that the WS "could be intriguing" because it only will be if the Mets make it in. As we all know, the Cards will choke it off in the series if they make it. Their recipe of suspect pitching cold bats in the playoffs always comes back to haunt them. Plus, I'm always really bitter come playoff time that the Cards seem to get in and the Royals are mathematically eliminated by June. Actually, I must say that I take some delight in their annual post-season choke, thank you very much.

All this said, my prediction is that the Cards do make the WS and the Tigers will win it in 5. There you have it - are you happy now?

5 comments:

Big Shaky said...

The fact that NASCAR has taken the #2 spot in poularity just behind Football, leaving Baseball in the dust, should be some indication of why no one really talks about Baseball this time of year. Well, except maybe the Dominicans and Cubans that probably shouldn't be here anyway......Viva la Basbol!!!

Anonymous said...

Eat your words Fan-Boy...Yes baseball does bring a lot of immigrants, but isn't that what this country needs more of? Cheap labor? Who cares about all of the lazy Americans losing their jobs. Maybe they should not be so lazy and start earning their way with some sort of value-add. Why pay an American labor wages when you can pay an immigrant to do it for 1/10 of the cost? I hate right-winged conservative Nazis who hate baseball.

Big Shaky said...

Really? Isn't it funny how your screen name is exactly what your head is stuck in?? Provacative!!
People like you are exactly why our country is in the shape it is today. And American doesn't need more foreigners that will sap every bit of my tax dollars for the insurance and benefits that they DON'T have that YOU and I pay for every time one of them squirts out a kid here on our soil.
They are taking American jobs because they will do it so much cheaper because they come from a country that pays peanuts. Instead of doing it the right way and becoming naturalized, they sneak across and commit FELONY FRAUD by using false Social Security #'s so the crooked employers can save a cheap buck by hiring them rather than a red-blooded AMERICAN!!!
Hard to breathe with your head up there huh hippie?

Anonymous said...

But then those kids also become little mini-immigrant workers and make things even cheaper with the increase in immigrants so that you and I can afford more things. Wouldn't you rather have to pay a little extra insurance money to get a new roof on your house for thousands less than you would pay Americans and have a better job done? Immigration is great. And what if the little immigrant kid finds the cure for cancer? Or what if he becomes a sports legend?

Big Shaky said...

I think that's the most ridiculous arguement I've ever read in my life. I hope that's a joke. If not, I weep for your future.