Sunday, October 29, 2006

MU vs. OU - 10/28/06

I knew that this would be a tough game from the start. OU doesn't have Peterson, but they are still pretty tough and ranked 19th in the nation. MU came in ranked 23rd and has had some up and down performances over the past few weeks. It was in Columbia, so I was expecting a Missouri victory, none the less.

Well, this game fell in line with the rest of this football season - it sucked and I was wrong. OU won 26-10. MU went up 3-0 after the first drive of the game, then gave up 16 unanswered points before halftime. Brutal. Unlike my comrade Brent, I like the spread offense. It widens the field and spreads out the defense to create some natural holes. MU has balanced the run/pass pretty well, unlike Texas Tech. The two reasons why Mizzou lost this game were (1) turnovers and (2) play calling.

Lets start with turnovers - there were 5...yes, 5 turnovers. I don't care who you are playing - home or away, summer or winter - if you turn the ball over 5 times, you're going to have a hard time winning. Then there was the play calling. At one point MU had a 1st and goal from the 1 yard line, down 13 points. We line up in the shotgun all 4 times and try a lob-pass, jump-ball in the corner of the end zone on 4th down. What?? How does a Div-1 offensive coordinator still have a job after this??? Ok, the shotgun didn't work the first 3 times, so why don't we try to line up under center and power it in one time? If you can't get 1 yard at home... Anyway, this play calling is inexcusable.

I still think that Mizzou has a pretty good team, but they won't be able to win the big game due to the reasons mentioned above. I'm nervous for the Nebraska game next week because of this. They caught a break with the Huskers losing inexplicably to OK State yesterday, but they will have to beat them next Saturday to get to the Big 12 Championship. I want to be hopeful about the situation, but past experience won't let me. I see another meaningless bowl game in their future.

2 comments:

Big Shaky said...

I was watching this game and got so pissed about that roughing the punter call that I actually went out to mow the yard. It didn't even need it. That's how mad I was. But you are right, the way Chase Daniel wanted to take over that game, I would have let him. He should have punched it in from the one easily. MU won't be considered one of the big dogs until they ALL actually believe they are big dogs. That means players, coaches, everyone. Until this is DEMANDED of them by everyone, meaningless bowl games will be the future.

Brent said...

I can't believe how pitiful the MU running backs are. It's amazing. Tony Temple is the only one with any talent, but he can't hold onto the ball.

Our "#1 in the nation defense" has to be the biggest joke in the history of college football. A highschool JV team could run on those guys.