Friday, October 06, 2006

Tuesday Night Lights

I have to admit that I was sceptical about the new Friday Night Lights (airing on Tuesday, first of all - what's that about?). After seeing the first episode, the jury's still out, but I'll be watching again next week. There are a few things worth addressing:

Question 1: How is there a "high school" kid that is constantly drunk? Riggins, the tough fullback is hammered in every scene that he appears. AND NOBODY CARES! Here is an actual exchange at an afternoon practice: Coach - "I smell alcohol, have you been drinking?" Rig - "No." Coach - "Okay, well get back in there!" Are you kidding me??? Let's have some semblance of realism here.

Question 2: This fictional town of Dillon, TX has a long running football dynasty, but no defense. How is this possible. In the first game, they get flat runned over. The worst part is that none of the characters that we meet in the first episode play defense. Now that I think about it, Varsity Blues didn't have any defensive characters either. Provacative. "I don't want your life!"

Question 3: Why can't we get people to play high school characters who are actually high school age? Are they all too busy making crappy pop albums or MTV reality shows? There has to be some decent teenage actors out there. We need a talent scout to get on this, pronto.

All this said, Friday Night Lights was a pretty good show. The camera work was great and the story line kept my attention. I do predict an intervention, a pregnant chick and some Oklahoma-esque alumni scandal. To be continued...

1 comment:

Brent said...

I wanted to add that it was pretty stupid that Dillon's helmets had the letter "P" on them instead of the letter "D", as would any normal high school. I realize their nickname is the Panthers, but still.