Sunday, October 22, 2006

Heisman Watch

I just realized that we've barely mentioned the NCAA football season in this god-forsaken blog, so I felt obligated to chime in. It looks like Ohio State is the runaway favorite to win the national championship because every time a team gets to #2, they pee down their collective leg. As far as the Big 12 goes, it looks like Texas in the south and either Nebraska or Mizzou from the north. I like a Mizzou - Texas match-up (yes, I'm a homer) and I think it would be a good game with Texas edging them out. Next year could be a different story. As for the Heisman candidates, here's what I can come up with:

It sucks. Period. Don't get me wrong, I love the Heisman Trophy and it is a great motivating factor for Div-1A skill players. But the voting is all wrong. Example - Colt Brennan (QB-Hawaii). He currently has over 2,600 passing yards with 28 TDs and 5 INTs. This equates to a rating of 183.1 - let me repeat 183.1! I have not heard a peep about this guy and had to go fishing for stats to find his numbers. No stories on ESPN, no stat updates, nothing. It's unbelievable to me that this type of performance gets overlooked. Brennan is not the only one - there are names out there for all of the skill positions. Like RB Greg Wolfe from N. Illinois. He already has 1,413 yards and 13 rushing TDs (with 171 yards vs. Ohio State in week 1) and he barely gets mentioned as a side note on college football shows.

My point is this - the Heisman is for the best player in the land, not the biggest name player on the most publisized team. I wish they would give great performers more media attention so that they can be considered. My prediction: Troy Smith wins it after they win the national championship. The bummer of the season is Adrian Peterson's injury. That kid is a man-child and would have won it if he didn't get hurt.

Oh, by the way, go ahead and start etching the name on the 2007 trophy: CHASE DANIEL.

2 comments:

Brent said...

I definitely share your Heisman frustration. Troy Smith is pretty much the runaway choice at this point.

Regarding the kids from smaller schools, the Northern Illinois back actually got a little buzz before the season started, and I think as we go on, people will keep bringing him along as long as he doesn't go out and rush for 30 yards against a lesser known school.

For the Hawaii QB, are you kidding me? Hawaii has a great system, and they've always had QB's who threw for big numbers. Timmy Chang a couple years ago went bonkers and never got a sniff of the Heisman. It's basically the same kind of thing as Texas Tech. BJ Symons and Kliff Kingsbury never got any Heisman buzz because they're playing in a system designed to get big numbers in the passing game.

Big Shaky said...

Agreed, It should be the most popular player award. There are so many quality football players on the dividion 1 level. Look at all the Mizzou and Nebraska quarterbacks that had some titanic battles. Tommy Frazier, Scott Frost, Corby Jones, Brad Smith. Fantastic athletes, but just not the prototypical QB's. Still, you can't beat college football for quality of entertainment.
M-I-Z-Z-O-U!